Gratitude Day 12: Sacred Places

Nashville Tennessee Temple
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
© 2014 Kristina Plaas, All Rights Reserved
Through my work in phenomenological research I have become more aware of the significance of place to a person's experience of everyday living. Ask someone to tell you about their childhood and they are likely to talk about not only family and friends but the places where meaningful things happened in their life. They may tell you about the house they lived in, the school they attended, or the place where the family went on vacations. As human beings we find connection in special places.

I have many special places, but more importantly, I have a few sacred places that hold great meaning for me. As a faithful member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints I choose to spend time learning and serving in temples. Not only are all temples beautiful, but they are very peaceful places where I feel the inspiration of the Holy Ghost and receive guidance from the Lord. I happily drive almost 3 hours each way to the temple in Nashville just so I can have the opportunity to serve, learn, and feel the spirit. It's a huge blessing I am grateful for. It is a very sacred place.

Sunset from Hyatt Lane in Cades Cove
Great Smoky Mountains National Park
© 2014 Kristina Plaas, All Rights Reserved
There are other sacred places in my world that I am blessed to visit more frequently than the temple. Many of those places are in Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Select locations in Cades Cove, along the Little River, and at Clingmans Dome are like temples to me. I feel the spirit, receive answers to prayers, and commune with pink skies, endless blue ridges, towering trees, puffy white clouds, and vast blue skies. Tiny birds and delicate wildflowers talk to my soul. Water crashing over rocks sings while breezes through the trees offer accompaniment. In these sacred places I find solace and strength. I feel my Heavenly Father's love and know that whatever happens in my life, He is in charge and will take care of me. I'm grateful to be a Smoky Mountain girl!
Sunset from  Clingmans Dome
Great Smoky Mountains National Park
© 2014 Kristina Plaas, All Rights Reserved

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chocolate Sour Cream Pound Cake

Heavenly Light

Persistent