Gratitude Day 10: Trees

"Benched"
Colorful maple tree in front of the Sugarlands Visitors Center
Great Smoky Mountains National Park
© 2014 Kristina Plaas, All Rights Reserved

Trees

BY JOYCE KILMER

I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.

A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the earth’s sweet flowing breast;

A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;

A tree that may in Summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;

Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.

Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.

I was blessed with the opportunity to escape to the Smokies today. I had a meeting in Pigeon Forge at 2 PM so it made perfect sense to take a leisurely drive along the Little River on my way. I was impressed with the amount of colorful leaves that still remain, mostly on the hillsides, but also some along the river. The sky was a brilliant blue and the trees were varying hues of red, rust, and orange. It was magical!

I know every curve of this road by heart, every bend in the river, and where the light hits at what time of day. I have watched the first hints of leaves peek out in March and April, change from the bright vivid green of spring to the deep velvety hues of summer and now the warm vibrant palette of fall. I love these trees. I talk to them, I have pet names for a few, I've hugged more than one. They are lovely!

Blog posts that blather on are written by fools like me, but only God can make a tree. I'm grateful to be surrounded by lots and lots of beautiful trees!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chocolate Sour Cream Pound Cake

Heavenly Light

Welcome and Gratitude Day 9: The Smoky Mountains